Monday, March 13, 2017

40 Weeks... Waiting for Baby #3 {March 2017}


My pregnancy with Baby # 3 was relatively uneventful, thankfully.
I gained a total of 19 pounds and felt pretty good overall.
Here is a picture of me on my Due Date with Baby #3 vs Week 38 with the twins--
you can see it in my face!
I didn't get the carpal tunnel that I did with the boys.
I didn't swell in my hands or ankles.
I stayed pretty "active" -- at least I chased around and carried the boys the whole pregnancy without any issues.
It was great!


Except, my body doesn't seem to know how to go into labor!
I worked a 12 hour shift at the hospital on my due date 
and didn't even have many Braxton Hicks contractions.
Because of my previous cesarean section, my doctor, whom I love and trust, wanted to give me until 41 weeks, and then--depending on my dilation and effacement--she would either induce me or go straight to a repeat c-section.
She was very open and supportive of me wanting to try to go "all natural" with this labor and delivery, but she also didn't want to push it with me going too overdue.
I had an appointment with Dr Hollar at 40 weeks + 2 days.  I had an US that day before the appt, and my fluid levels were great AND baby boy was looking like he was going to weigh close to 9 lbs!

When Dr Hollar checked me, I was still only 1 cm dilated and 80% effaced. Total bummer.
At this point, I hadn't dilated or changed at all in about a month.  I was a little discouraged.
Instead of waiting until Saturday to go in for a c section, 
I decided I wanted to be induced in the next few days and try to get labor going.
I had already gotten my membranes stripped 3 times!  Still nothing.
(I have a lovely neighbor/friend who is an L&D nurse and graciously did one of those strips!  Lol.)

So, we made a plan for me to go into the hospital 2 days later to start with a balloon dilation.
To me, this was a little less intense sounding with going straight to Pitocin.  
Dr Hollar also wanted to be cautious with the induction because of my previous cesarean, not wanting to cause an emergency (like rupturing my uterus...eek).  

Andy and I were now excited, looking forward to getting this baby out and meeting him!
My mom was set to watch the boys on Tuesday night, 
and we went into the hospital bright and early Wednesday morning, March 15th.
With my previous induction, I knew I could be in for a long stay, but I was hopeful to meet this baby within 12 hrs.  Hm.  Little did I know!



Last family of 4 picture at church on March 12, 2017


Big baby belly!

No comments:

Post a Comment