Sunday, August 15, 2010

"This is your best meal ever!"

Today is my parents' 29th wedding anniversary!  Wow.  Congratulations, Mom and Dad!  I am so inspired to be committed to Andy for life just like they are to one another.  Thank you for setting such a wonderful and loving example to us kids about how strong the bond of committed love is supposed to be.  Next sunday is my dad's parents' wedding anniversary.  I'm not sure their number... I think 55 years?  Another inspiring couple in my family.  We have a lot to live up to!  

So, one way I have committed myself to Andy is to cook him lots of delicious food.   And, last night I think I found the most direct way to his heart...through chicken chimichangas.  I saw a recipe in a little cookbook I bought at the grocery store earlier this summer and was inspired to make my own.  He said numerous times that this was the best thing I have ever made.  They were so easy!  I just made my "everything but the kitchen sink Mexican chicken" in the crock pot, filled little burritos with the chicken, mixed with sour cream and shredded cheese, then pan fried the burritos in vegetable oil.  I'm not sure if this is technically what a chimichanga is, but I'm going with it.  The crock pot chicken is basically 2-3 chicken breasts, a jar of salsa, a bag of frozen corn (or a can of corn), a chopped pepper, a chopped onion, maybe some canned beans, maybe some Ro-tel, maybe some cumin, maybe a packet of taco seasoning, salt and pepper... whatever you have on hand that is remotely Mexican... and set the crock pot for 8 hours.  When it's done, the chicken is so amazingly shreddable, I can't even stand it.

Here's a picture of the chicken after I took the fork and shredded it around in the pot:

Mmm... so good!  You can use this chicken for enchiladas, burritos, or just serve it over rice.  It's super easy and delicious. 

Here are the chimichangas...

See that cheesy goodness?  Andy loved it.  I made mine with a whole wheat tortilla.  Try it!

1 comment:

  1. Yum! That chicken looks & sounds delicious! I'll have to try that one of these days. Love your blog!
    xxxooo

    ReplyDelete